Friday, June 13, 2008

My LOTR Pipe

If you look at my profile pic you will see me smoking a very long pipe. I am particularly fond of this one. It is my Lord of the Rings (LOTR) pipe. I have a regular churchwarden pipe, but this one ranks right up there with some of my favorites.

The pipe is made entirely of wood. As I shopped for an LOTR pipe, I found lots of clay pipes. I didn't want to break in a clay pipe, so when I found this wooden one I was stoked. I had a choice to make. Did I want my pipe to look like the one smoked by Gandalf, Merry or Pippin, or Aragorn? To me this was a no-brainer. I went for the Aragorn pipe.

This pipe is long and only separates at the bowl. The bowl is shaped like an acorn and is pretty big. I know that I need at least an hour if I am going to smoke a full bowl. The pipe came with a stand, so I don't have any problems with storage when it is not in use.

The only problem I have with the pipe is that there is no easy way to keep it in my mouth without my hands. The stem is round all the way up and there is no place to bite down on. I prefer to sit and relax while smoking, so this is not too much of a problem. If I were walking around a lot I would hope to have more hands-free options.

As much as I would have liked to have dressed in full LOTR fashion for the opening night showings of the movies, I chose to only bring my pipe. A lot of people in the midnight line with me thought it was pretty cool. I ended up having a lot of conversations with people just because I had it. Pipes are always a good social tool.

Overall the pipe smokes pretty well. The air flows well through the stem. It doesn't get as hot as some of my other pipes. I get a lot of enjoyment from this pipe. Who knows, maybe I will buy a Gandalf pipe just in time for the release of The Hobbit, whenever that may be.


No comments: