Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Macs Really Do Suck! :)

At my office it is well known that I am not a fan of Apple Macintosh computers. I am not a huge Windows-phile, but I find Mac to be even more annoying. As a web developer I have to deal with the everyday hassles of internet browsing programs reading pages differently. Due to the differences I am forced to have a Mac laptop in addition to my PC. I have grumbled from time to time, and now that Safari has a Windows version I have a glimmer of hope that I can put the Mac behind me, much to the dismay of some of the IT guys I work with who worship Mac.

This particular Mac was supposed to be top-of-the-line when it was purchased less than a year ago. It is a MacBook Pro, and was purchased the day it was released in stores. That being said, one would think that it would be pretty reliable. Not so.

Almost immediately I lost a mouse to it's USB port. It fried it somehow. I have since lost another one. I got a USB flash drive for Christmas from my boss, and the Mac claimed it too. A friend at work has the same model of laptop, only bought it in January, and the video card crashed. After all of this, I still couldn't convince my friends at work that Mac is an inferior product. Yesterday I finally made my point, or at least my Mac did.

My Mac was requested of me in order to run some tests on a big screen tv that is used for meetings. I willingly gave it up and awaited it's return. I was told that they decided to do a firmware upgrade on it, and it kept failing. Ultimately the process kept stalling out and I was told to back up my files, and salvage what I could. I finally got the concession that I was waiting for, in a way. He didn't say all Macs suck, but he definitely said mine does. That is a step in the right direction at least.

I had to make a backup of all my files, both on the Windows and Mac partitions. This Mac's handling of Parallels is another story waiting to happen, so I won't get into that here. After saving all my work, we reformatted the Mac and upgraded it to Leopard. Hopefully this will be the end of my Mac woes, but I doubt it.


1 comment:

Kate said...

I hate your mac.....i'm so glad we have the HP back! :)