Friday, April 18, 2008

My Son's Darndest Sayings

From time to time one hears about Bill Cosby or Art Linkletter with "Kids Say the Darndest Things". They talk about some funny things kids say. My son is only 2, and doesn't say a lot, but some of the things he says are pretty funny. I fully admit that I may be a little biased on this one, but here we go.

One day a few months ago, back when my son was only occasionally muttering a word here and there, I was outside barbecuing hamburgers. My wife came out to give me the cheese to melt on the burgers, and handed my son a slice. He smiled really big, looked up at me and said, "I LIKE Cheese!" Ordinarily this wouldn't be a funny sentence, but considering it was a real sentence from a kid who doesn't talk, my wife and I thought it was pretty funny.

He has picked up some interesting words recently, which makes me wonder a little bit about the things he gets exposed to versus other kids. Here are his most common words:

  • NO!
  • Sauce (I think he gets that from his older cousin)
  • Spicy
  • Hot Dog
  • Cheese
  • Shoes
  • Stuck
  • Dog
  • Socks
  • Remote (also pronounced Mote)

This isn't necessarily a funny list, but notice that half of these involve food. I can only think of two other households where I know the word spicy is a common word. Those two households are those of my older sisters, only one of whom actually eats spicy food as often or as hot as I do.

Now back to some more funny things he says. The latest thing to come from my son involves diaper changing. For the non-parents in this crowd, this is where you may want to skip ahead. Discussions involving diapers are usually only permitted in comedy or parenting. You've been warned.

In the past, he would only answer us if we asked him if he pooped. The answer was always no, regardless of whether or not he had. He will avoid getting his diaper changed at all costs. Now he finally responds to the alternative. When we ask, "Did you Pee?" He quickly responds "I peed." The tone of voice may be why this is funny to me, but funny it is. He says it so confidently that it comes out funny.

As I said before, not everything he says is funny, but it is always interesting to discover his new words. I am looking forward to learning all the new things he has to say.


No comments: